Leachin (Pronounced Lee-ak-in) Gaelic for rock slabs, indicates
"House among the rocks"
Leachin House is a Victorian stone residence built of local, 'Berneray' granite under a 'Ballachulish' slate roof. Up-dated to cater for modern day living, it retains many of its original features, including the 100 year old French hand-painted wallpaper in the dining room.
The House was once the home of Norman MacLeod, reputedly the "Father" of the Harris Tweed industry. It was designed by him and completed in 1892.
Leachin House stands alone in a well landscaped garden one mile from Tarbert on the shores of the West Loch. It faces South over the sea to Ben Luskentyre, the island of Taransay and the Atlantic Ocean beyond, with Gilleval Glas rising to 1500 feet immediately behinf. Stornoway, the administration capital of the Western Isles, with its airport is easily accessible 40 miles to the North over the "Clisham" massif, the highest peak in the islands.
The House is now the home of Linda and Diarmuid Evelyn Wood who welcome you to share their "Point of View"